Monday 2 May 2011

Reflection so far...

This project has been going smoothly so far although the deadline is coming up fast!
I'm learning everyday as a designer and maker that the design changes everyday, as you collect the materials and bring everything together. For example whilst making the feathers I ran out of ridgeuline so  I was searching trying to find some kind of replacement, because I wanted to carry on making feathers and not have to buy more ridgeuline.
Finally I found a box of old straws! Which I cut up and used instead, they work perfectly and give the feather enough strength but are still flexible? I learned not to necessarily stick with the conventional material and to look around and experiment with different ones.


I have also made a change with the beaks, originally I wanted to experiment with vavaform and Plasterzote, however with a consolation with the technician in the work shop we both decided that latex would be a better option. So I made the beaks out of latex which I think worked really well, They kept the shape of the beak really well and are flexible. I was worried with the other materials that they would be to ridged and hurt the face of the dancer, so using latex has solved that problem. Now I need to find a way to attach them to a mask.


May 4th:


I have found a solution for attaching the masks!
After a trip to the craft in Poole I decided to use a shaped pre-made mask to use as a base. This has worked really well. I have learnt not to be afraid of utilising things and not trying to do things from scratch all the time.  I think in this instance it has worked well, and the masks look much better than I expected. 







No comments:

Post a Comment