Tuesday 10 May 2011

Dodo Ruff.

This was my original inspiration, for the ruff idea. 


The Dodo Ruff. 


Whilst designing the character of the Dodo I decided to create a ruff, an elizabethan style ruff to create the illusion that the Dodo could be regal. I used lots of scraps of fabric left over from making the feathers so that the colours reflect the rest of the costume. I used alot of different textures as well as the fabric from the feathers, because i wanted the ruff to look really textured and colourful. I used a gold netting which i layed over the top to keep the fabric from flopping around and make it look more unified.  I then sprayed starch over it to create the stiffness which the ruff needed. 
Using bondaweb to attatch the pieces of fabric to the ruff.


These pieces of fabric are attached to a piece of cotton which was a full cirle which i cut the middle out of.

Once i had stuck all the pieces of fabric to the cotton circle, i ironed cut out a piece of the gold netting and put it on top. I then added a a piece of gold fabric along the bottom and cut the bottom edge in scallop shapes.

Once all the glue had dried etc, i began to fold.Using a glue gun and stitching i folded the fabric in a consetina style to create the ruff. 

The last steps for the ruff was gluing on feathers, home made and real ones to the other side of the ruff and binding the inner edge. 

I am so pleased with the final result, the multi textural look is the exactly what I was going for. It compliments the rest of the costume well and the colours are great. i am really glad i put the net over the top of the other fabrics as it takes away the busy- ness  and creates a more streamlined professional look.



No comments:

Post a Comment