Tuesday 17 May 2011

Owl Headress

I have started making the owls head dress. I found a hard felt hat at a fancy dress shop for £1.50 and used it as a base of the head dress, I then used wadding to build up the head dress to the shape I wanted.
These pictures, are the original prototype of the head dress which i made, as funny it was to put on, it helped me make a pattern for the balaclava/hood which would fit over the headress and neck and be tucked underneath the unitard at the neck. I found it difficult to make a pattern for the balaclava with out making a trial one before because of the odd shape of the head dress.


Once i finally made the real hood,I attached feathers and home made feathers on to the head dress using a glue gun and stitching some on.     

The picture below is the owl head finished with the feathers attached. I am a little concerned as the dancer which will be wearing this costume is quite small. I am hoping that the head dress dosent swamp her. I am also a little worried that the mask will not fit, although if I find when I have a fitting that it doesnt fit I will attach the mask on to the top of the head dress so that the dancer looks underneath the mask rather than through it.  



This is the mask and headress together. 

No comments:

Post a Comment