Friday 20 May 2011

The owl jacket.

Because the unitard is borrowed I cannot mark it in anyway or attach anything to it which might make it unusable for anything else. Therefore I came up with the idea to make a jacket which goes over the top of the unitard which is light and easy to move in. I found some fabric which is white and covered in hair like threads, i think it is supposed to be made for cushions but I thought it would have great movement and look good combined with the feathers.
This is the jacket made and not decorated with the feathers.
I used a 1/2 metre to make the jacket and cut it on the stand making a calico toile first. However due to not being able to see the dancer I had to do a lot of guess work and leave lots of room. I left the back open to give extra room and left a large seam allowance and it fit well when i had the fitting so my guess work was done well.



These two images are the jacket fully decorated, there is a lot of texture and feathers as i wanted to create the illusion of grandness and bulk to the shoulders. 

I am really please with the final result and I think it represents my design well. However it was very difficult attaching all the feathers and I would have liked to have used the glue gun less and sewn more on, however due to the time constraints it was unfortunately the was they had to be attached.

No comments:

Post a Comment