Sunday 15 May 2011

Owl

For the owl I decided I wanted the costume to reflect the owls major feature, the head shape. For this project it is very important the the costumes do not restrict the dancers movement, so I decided that the head  dress would be the best option to make the key feature.

To begin I looked at the owls head and how I would translate the shape into my design. I decided to make a padded head dress out of foam or wadding, because of the light weight nature of the two materials.  I think this way it would give the right shape without compromising the comfort of the dancer. 
The design I have come up with is a rough idea but I am still thinking of ways to practically make it.  As the design suggests the headdress would sit of the top of the head but there would be room on the outside? which wouldn't work as it would flap around and not be stable. Therefore the practicalities still have to be revised.


For the rest of the costume I will have have to also slightly alter the design as i have found that I am not allowed to make any lasting additions to the unitard, as they need to be used again for other performances. This means that I will have to make a top which is worn over the unitard, which can be decorated.
 

No comments:

Post a Comment