Friday 1 April 2011

SDP -

Self - Directed Project.

For my self directed project I have been asked by the Murilova Ballet school to make costumes for their production of Alice in Wonderland. It will be performed at the Layard Theatre on the 15th & 16th of July.
The Murilova ballet school, has been running for over 25 years, and has been a strong part of the local comunitity involving more than 80 children from the area.
The ballet school has puts on a production every 2 years, which all of the proceeds go the Poole branch of the Chernobyl Children’s Lifeline.

For the production of Alice in wonderland, I have been asked to make four costumes for the Caucus race, a scene traditionally involving 14 different animals, for this show have been asked to make four Bird costumes, A Dodo, Eagle, Owl and a Parrot.





 
I have discussed the design of the costumes with the head of the ballet school and we decided that the emphasis would be on the headdresses and the shape of the bird’s heads.

As it is a ballet movement is the priority, therefore the main costume would be a unitard embellished with feathers. Depending on the type of the bird, the arrangement of feathers and the colours etc would be different. However it is the headdress, which would be the main focus.





Therefore I must design and make headdresses which are light, stable and wearable for young children. This project will give me the freedom to experiment with different materials and work on something a bit different.

The project will last 6 weeks. Within the first two weeks I will, find out any more information, measure the dancers and experiment with different materials and shapes to design the four costumes. Then I have 4 weeks to construct and embellish the costumes, ready for SDP hand in on the 16th of May.

After the hand-in I also intend to carry on working with the ballet school to help them source, make and alter the rest of the costumes. I believe this will be a challenging and interesting project, where I will get the chance to independently work on a real life production and to further develop my making and design skills.




No comments:

Post a Comment