Friday 15 April 2011

Designs.

These are the designs I have come up with. I have designed four of the birds even though for the project I am only required to make 2, however I will of my own accord make the other two for the show. 
The dance school will be giving me the unitards to work on so I will be finding and experimenting to find ways to add and embellish the unitards. I will also be working with the workshop to make beaks for the birds out of a light weight material.

The first bird I designed was the owl.










The owl will have a white unitard,which I will decorate down the front and a bit down the back, It was also discussed with my tutor that I make a bolero style jacket to create the fullness in the arms, rather than padding and working into the unitard to much. 
The head dress will be made out of foam to create the rounded shape without the weight. The foam will also be easy to work into and add elements, such as the ears.

I have started experimenting with materials to create the beak for the owl as it is much smaller than any of the other birds, therefore I can use a heavier material which would not be an option with the other birds. 




I have firstly started experimenting with fimo, as it is reasonably easy to manipulate however it is quite stiff, so I wouldn't use it if I had to make something intricate. The beak shape I had in mind was quite simple. Fimo is more convenient than some other similar materials such as clay, because it can be cooked in the oven. Although I have learnt from using it that after it has started to cook it becomes very fragile and easily cracks. 



This is the first attempt, however i decided to make it much smaller and take off the side pieces to make it purch on the nose, it will be attached to a mask which will come down the nose from the top of the head. Although not shown in the design it will be probly be attached accross the cheeks aswell for extra stability.




 This is a picture of me with the updated beak shape. it will sit over the nose and will be attached from the top of the head and across the face.  

No comments:

Post a Comment